Refuge and Rock
- The following article is from the Psalter Hymnal Handbook.
David Johnson (b. San Antonio, TX, 1922; d. Phoenix, AZ, 1987), former music department chairman at St. Olaf College, composed EARTH AND ALL STARS and published it in his Twelve Folksongs and Spirituals (1968). Johnson studied at Trinity, University, San Antonio, Texas, and received his master's and doctoral degrees in music from Syracuse University, New York. In addition to St. Olaf, he taught at Syracuse University; Alfred University, Alfred, New York; and Arizona State University. Johnson was organist at Syracuse University and organist and choir director at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral in Phoenix. His publications include Instruction Book for Beginning Organists and Organ Teacher's Guide; his compositions number over three hundred and include hymn tunes, varied harmonizations, and hymn preludes.
- Visit hymnary.org for more information on this song and additional resources.
- The following are alternative accompaniments for this tune, DEXTER/EARTH AND ALL STARS.
Alternative Harmonization for Organ and Descant Resources:
- Eggert, John. Creative Hymn Accompaniments for Organ. vol. 2 CPH97-6851 
Alternative Harmonization for Piano:
- Organ, Anne Krentz. Let It Rip! At the Piano. Augsburg 11-11045 
- Words: Permitted with a license from CCLI.com or OneLicense.net. If you do not own this license, please contact the copyright holder for permission.
- Music: Permitted with a license from OneLicense.net. If you do not own this license, please contact the copyright holder for permission.