O Praise God's Name Together
- The following article is from the Psalter Hymnal Handbook.
Composed by Samuel S. Wesley, AURELIA (meaning "golden") was published as a setting for “Jerusalem the Golden” in Selection of Psalms and Hymns, which was compiled by Charles Kemble and Wesley in 1864. Though opinions vary concerning the tune's merits (Henry J. Gauntlett once condemned it as "secular twaddle"), it has been firmly associated with Stone's text since tune and text first appeared together in the 1868 edition of Hymns Ancient and Modern. However, Erik Routley suggests rejuvenating this text by singing it to ST. THEODULPH.
- Visit hymnary.org for more information on this song and additional resources.
- The following are alternative accompaniments for this tune, AURELIA.
Alternative Harmonization for Organ and Descant Resources:
- Archer, Malcolm. After the Last Verse. Kevin Mayhew ISBN 0 86209 502 6 
- Burkhardt, Michael. Easy Hymn Settings General set 1. Morningstar MSM-10-815 
- Cassler, G. Winston. Organ Descants for Selected Hymns. Augsburg 11-9304 
- Ferguson, John. Hymn Harmonizations. bk. 5 Ludwig O-14 
- Hancock, Gerre. Organ Improvisations for Hymn Singing. Hinshaw HMO-100 
- Mawby, Colin. Hymns for Occasions. Kevin Mayhew ISBN 0-86209-568-9 
- McKinney, Howard D. Preludes for Fifty-Five Well-Known Hymn Tunes. J. Fischer 9770 
- Noble, T. Tertius. Free Organ Accompaniments to One Hundred Well-Known Hymn Tunes. J. Fischer 8175 
- Powell, Robert J. Free Hymn Accompaniments. Abingdon APM-513 
- Rawsthorne, Noel. 200 Last Verses. Kevin Mayhew ISBN 0 86209 189 6 
- Sowerby, Leo. Ten Hymn Tune Descants. H.W.Grey CMR 2838 
- Thiman, Eric. Varied Accompaniments to Thirty-Four Well-Known Hymn Tunes. Oxford ISBN 0 19 323210 3 
- Wilkinson, John T. One Hundred and Four Descants for “The Hymn Book”. enThusia 
- Winn, Cyril. 41 Descants to Familiar Hymn Tunes. Oxford 
- Wyton, Alec. New Shoots from Old Roots. SMP KK 279 
Alternative Harmonization for Piano:
- Cherwien, David. Let It Rip! At the Piano. Augsburg 11-11045  (√+)
- Hopson, Hal H. The Creative Use of the Piano in Worship. Hope 8392  (√; E-M; too “fluffy” for text)
Michael Morgan © 2011 Michael Morgan, admin. Faith Alive Christian Resources
(AURELIA 220.127.116.11 D): Samuel S. Wesley, 1864, P.D.
Projection and Reprint Information:
- Words: Permitted with a license from CCLI.com or from OneLicense.net. If you do not own one of these licenses, please contact the copyright holder for permission.
- Music: The Music is in the Public Domain; you do not need permission to project or reprint the Music.