The LORD is King, Enthroned in Might
- The following article is from the Psalter Hymnal Handbook.
Published in a chapel hymnal for the Duke of Würtemberg (Gesangbuch der Herzogl, 1784), ELLACOMBE (the name of a village in Devonshire, England) was first set to the words "Ave Maria, klarer und lichter Morgenstern." During the first half of the nineteenth century various German hymnals altered the tune. Since ELLACOMBE's inclusion in the 1868 Appendix to Hymns Ancient and Modern, where it was set to John Daniell's children's hymn "Come, Sing with Holy Gladness," its use throughout the English-speaking world has spread.
ELLACOMBE is a rounded bar form (AABA), rather cheerful in character, and easily sung in harmony.
- Visit hymnary.org for more information on this song and additional resources.
- The following are alternative accompaniments for this tune, ELLACOMBE.
Alternative Harmonization for Organ and Descant Resources:
- Archer, Malcolm. After the Last Verse. Kevin Mayhew ISBN 0 86209 502 6 
- Burkhardt, Michael. Easy Hymn Settings Lent. Morningstar MSM-10-315 
- Copes, V. Earle. Hymn Intonations Preludes & Free Harmonizations. Vol II Selah 160-722 
- Ferguson, John. Hymn Harmonizations for Organ. bk. 1 Ludwig O-05 
- Mawby, Colin. Hymns for Occasions. Kevin Mayhew ISBN 0-86209-568-9 
- Pooler, Marie. Festival Hymns with descants. Augsburg 11-9181 
- Powell, Robert J. Free Hymn Accompaniments. Abingdon APM-513 
- Proulx, Richard. Hymn Intonations Preludes & Free Harmonizations. Vol. I Selah 160-720 
- Proulx, Richard. Hymn Intonations Preludes & Free Harmonizations. Vol. VI Selah 160-726 
- Rawsthorne, Noel. 200 Last Verses. Kevin Mayhew ISBN 0 86209 189 6 
- Wilkinson, John T. One Hundred and Four Descants for “The Hymn Book”. enThusia 
- Winn, Cyril. 41 Descants to Familiar Hymn Tunes. Oxford 
Timothy Dudley-Smith (b. 1926) © 2007 Hope Publishing Company
(ELLACOMBE 188.8.131.52 D): Gesangbuch der Herzogl, Würtemburg,1784, P.D.
Projection and Reprint Information:
- Words: Permitted with a license from CCLI.com or from OneLicense.net. If you do not own one of these licenses, please contact the copyright holder for permission.
- Music: The Music is in the Public Domain; you do not need permission to project or reprint the Music.